Thursday, June 5, 2008

Life as a minor at RMMS




My name is Joey Coreas, and I attend a middle school known as Richard Merkin. This school gives a good education, but has high expectations. It’s not a school that has a jungle gym or a big yard to play in, but everyone somehow finds their own way to have fun. Although, too much fun can lead to trouble and even lead to expulsion. Here at Richard Merkin the rules are very strict and expect you to be mature and act like young responsible adults. This school does not tolerate certain things like violence and profanity, so I’m warning you now … DON’T DO IT!!!!!!
Like any other charter school, Richard Merkin has a dress code that requires every student to wear uniform. From grades 6th through 7th, the students have to wear cacky bottoms and a green top, but 8th graders have a decision to wear either green or navy blue tops.
As a student here, life isn’t that really interesting. Everyday seems the same from my perspective, but although its not boring the majority of the time. The food they serve here is not perfect, but you’ll find someway to get use to it. I don’t want to be a suck up and say this school is perfect, but I feel like this school isn’t really a right choice to send your child to. The only reason I say this is because as my experience as a 7th and 8th grader, you child could get involved with other students that could be nothing but trouble. Even though this school doesn’t look much, big things can happen here that can possibly change the way your child thinks.
Even though Richard Merkin is a charter school, I still think that the idea of uniform is not needed. For the past three and a half semesters here with my experience, it feels like I’m some sort of a prisoner stuck in a building with nothing but plain old education.

3 comments:

Ashely,Quejonne' and Dominic's Blog said...

Those pictures will make people scared to come to this school.J/K.

jocelyn said...

thats cool joey but what ashley said

Daniel Vasquez said...

Good job with the picture joey
Daniel V